Roxie Alsruhe's PunchRock
Who she is: The founder of PunchRock, Alsruhe has created a DC-based community for growing social entrepreneurship through collaboration, education, and technical innovation.
What she does: While some work-from-home employees, freelancers, and entrepreneurs swear by their coffee shops or home offices—others have opted for coworking space.
Why she does it: “Using the amount of money you may be spending daily on a fancy coffee, you could be putting that money toward sharing an office with smart, helpful people,” she explains. “That’s why in October 2012, I founded PunchRock—a coworking space for social entrepreneurs in Washington, DC.”
The Where-to-Work Dilemma: To Cowork, or Not to Cowork?
By Roxie Alsruhe
Do you love working for yourself, but not working by yourself? Then coworking space may be an option for you. To decide, here are some pros and cons to consider:
1. Is working next to your bed too tempting to give up? Or is it lonely?
2. Do you want to share your ideas or get instant feedback? Home offices may be require no additional out-of-pocket cash for office space, but working alone at home could cost you more than money—what’s the cost in lost creativity, happiness, and productivity?
3. Are you a social entrepreneur? If the “change the world” vibe at PunchRock is too hipster or warm and cozy for you, explore some other options. There are plenty of coworking spaces to choose from.
4. See if it’s right for you. If you’re interested in a particular space, take it for a test-drive. At PunchRock, we encourage everyone who thinks they want to join our community to bring their laptop and work from here for free for one day, no strings attached. Meet the current members, see how fast the Internet is, find out if the amenities fit your needs.
5. What else are you paying for? These things may not be advertised, but consider what you get besides office space in return for a coworking membership—new professional connections, possible new clients, coworkers whom you can help (and who can help you, too!), and maybe the opportunity to meet the love of your life. The possibilities are endless.
For more information, visit www.punchrockdc.com.