Author Susan Rainbow Ariel Kennedy (aka SARK)
Who she is: Author, creativity expert, wise owl who wonderfully wields zillions of colorful pens and markers, and using smart, sensible words and ideas, turns pain into power.
What she does: Writes books, gives workshops, and helps people who are lost reclaim their true nature.
Why she does it: “People have asked me so many times why and how my life is so great. I think it’s because I enjoy the whole thing, and I’m not waiting for a better version. And of course I’m not enjoying all the time. That would be boring and stupid. I can enjoy not enjoying! I’m committed to transformation and change, and my life purpose is to be a transformer, an uplifter, and a laser beam of love. I do this through art and words, in various mediums, and frequently in pajamas.”
LOOK INSIDE THE MAGICAL WORLD OF SARK
By Hope Katz Gibbs
Truly Amazing Women Who Are Changing The World
By Susan Rainbow Ariel Kennedy (aka Sark), the book sat for years on the bookshelf next to my desk. It smiled patiently at me as I made my way through the 30- and 40-something years of my life.
And then, this fall, I felt the need to pick it up again. As I leafed through one of the first lessons in the Play!book, something miraculous happened. I found that back in April of 1994, on the page of adjectives that Sark suggests you circle to describe yourself, I circled, “incandescent.”
*I had forgotten all about it*—for 18 years—thinking that I named my PR and publishing company, The Inkandescent Group, based on a word that called out to me from a 2007 magazine article in Amtrak’s Arrive magazine. In it, Annie Proulx described Eat, Pray, Love author Elizabeth Gilbert as “a young writer with incandescent talent.”
It was as if someone had shined a spotlight on the word. I circled it, saved it, and the next year launched Inkandescent PR.
So it came as a shock to realize that this beautiful word has been lingering in my mind for ages. And it made me realize that what Sark was teaching me years before was still true—hers was one of the best guides around to getting unstuck, claiming your passion, and finding the magic in everyday life. The key was to play, listen, and play some more.
Give it a try for yourself!
1. Find a word or words that describe you, or how you would like to be thought of. Sark’s suggestions include: incandescent, rare, gifted, blessed, spectacular, comedic, hopeful, unusual, celebrated, ingenious, wise, calm, tremendous, powerful, avatar, superb, truth-filled, energized, dreamer, angelic, uncanny, treasured, and spiritual.
2. I want. Fill a page with everything you can think of wanting right now, from tiny to immense. Sark says, “Listen to your heart and write what it says.”
3. Build your dream space. Sark suggests, “Draw it. Color it. List everything it needs to have. Make up stuff you’ve always wanted.”
4. Do you have a creative idea or dream you’d like to be living? Sark insists: “Write it down. Make it specific. Forget about time and money. What is your creative yearning?”
5. If not now, when? Sark says: “Get some more paper and list all the reasons you aren’t or haven’t yet started living your creative dream. Include time, money, and anything else that you think gets in your way. Safe these papers for later. Put them aside. And remember, YOU ARE FULL OF CREATIVITY. This is the truth.”
And this is just the beginning.
Because 1994 was a long time ago, I went on a mission to find what Sark was up to in 2012. It turns out that her work has gone global with Planet Sark, a website that she considers “Your Home for Dreaming, Daring, and Doing.”
After signing up for her newsletter, I received this note that explains far better than I what you’ll find when you tap into Sark’s world:
Dearest Kind, Curious, and Transforming Human Bean,
Your inner Wise Self appeared at your birth and will be with you all of your life and beyond. You might think of it as your higher self, or holy spirit or angelic messenger. The name really doesn’t matter. It’s your inner knowing and connection that matters. Activating that connection is easy. You simply tune in and ask, and then receive. It helps to connect through writing, because that involves body, mind and spirit.
People have asked me so many times why and how my life is so great. I think it’s because I enjoy the whole thing, and I’m not waiting for a better version. And of course I’m not enjoying all the time. That would be boring and stupid. I can enjoy not enjoying! I’m committed to transformation and change, and my life purpose is to be a transformer, an uplifter, and a laser beam of love. I do this through art and words, in various mediums, and frequently in pajamas.
I am honored and privileged to work with other writers, speakers, parents, creative geniuses, flailing students, successful business leaders, curious pioneers, busy people, procrastinators, perfectionists, and people who would really rather be sleeping. I specialize in resistors, skeptics, and other uncatagorizable people. I admire “dumb questions” and people willing to not “look good.” I believe heartily in miracles and use both right and left sides of my brain. I’m a bit unrealistic by design and choice, and I get fantastic results because of it, and so will you!
We look forward to meeting Sark in person later this year, and to continuing to be inspired by her big, bright, beautiful words and artwork.
Check her out at the TEDxFiDiWomen conference where she shares how “Succulence is Powerful.” Click here: www.youtube.com.
And do check out this entry from her journal.